Skip to main content

Let's Talk About Feelings

There’s no doubt the world is in chaos. There are panic stricken people. People everywhere who are suffering in all different ways, to different extents, and they’re coping in a multitude of ways.

We’ve been asked to do something that is far out of our comfort zone and inconvenient (for some) and may even trigger past traumatic events. We’ve been asked to stay home and avoid public places- watching our small businesses struggle because of something we can’t control.

There’s a lot I have to say about what’s happening around the world- but I’m not going to... because it’s all opinion and walks the fine line of between being annoying, political, and religious- and I’m not here to debate.

I’m not a licensed counselor or psychologist, but I’m about to write things that I wholeheartedly believe in and have been told by a counselor in the past (which, y’all, I highly recommend counseling- because mental health is important.)

Every single human being is- bear with me- like a pressure cooker. If I don’t release the pressure, vent out my feelings, I’m going to explode and it’s going to get messy. Releasing those feelings, frustrations, anxieties and voicing struggles is healthy. It’s not complaining - I mean sure, by definition it is but - unless that’s all you’re doing, that’s a healthy, tangible way to deal with stress. Talking it out- especially to people you know will hear you, let you get it out, and leave it at that.

One thing I can’t stand is people rationalizing and minimizing their own frustrations. Listen, I can vent and express the REAL frustrations and struggles of my routine being completely turned upside down, while still acknowledging and knowing how blessed I am. I can let it out knowing I am not the only one and I am in a really blessed position. I can even list some of my blessing and things I’m thankful for during this chaos:
  1. My husband is able to work from home.
  2. I don’t have to juggle teaching/working online while I have my toddlers around.
  3. I have plenty of supplies.
  4. I have a great backyard and great FL weather.
  5. We’re safe and don’t have to go anywhere.
  6. I’ve got all my workouts online I can do in my living room.
  7. I’ve got plenty of coffee.

And the list goes on. And on. And on. I understand there are others who are suffering greatly during this time. There are parents who are still going to work and may not have anyone to watch their kids while school is closed. Teachers who are struggling to figure out how they’re going to teach and care for their high-risk students and families. Families who have barely enough food for the day and/or depend on school meals. Health care professionals literally sacrificing their health for their job and our well-being. Veterans who are battling their memories while their PTSD is being triggered by realities and recommendations of “quarantine” and “pandemic,” and that stinkin’ meme floating around about our grandparents going to war and us being asked to sit on our couches (talk about minimizing the situation). This list could also go on forever, but I’ll stop here because I can feel my level of frustration increasing.. but I think you can catch my drift. 

Here’s the point: your feelings and frustrations are all valid right now (and everyday by the way...). Vent them out, acknowledge your blessings, and move on with your day.
No, you’re not alone. Yes, there are others less fortunate than some us. Yes, people are seriously suffering in ways some of us can’t imagine. And yes, this will hopefully be over sooner rather than later. But that doesn’t make your suffering any less valid- so don’t lock it up and wait to explode. And for the sake of your sanity- stop rationalizing and minimizing your suffering. Acknowledge it, acknowledge your blessings, and if you choose- pray & seek and the face of God. Also, probably just stay off the internet and keep the news turned off. If you’re like me- you can depend on a family member or spouse to give you all the important info- my anxiety can’t handle the news, so I’m not watching it.

Be smart and safe. Take care of yourself mentally and emotionally. If you have friends who are veterans or currently serving- check on them. Nurses and teachers? Check on them and encourage them. Do what you can within your healthy boundaries, but don’t ignore yourself for the sake of others. You're important too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Waiting Ends

 I have less than one week left of summer vacation.  One week to soak up time with my kids before I step into a new season I thought wouldn't come for a few more years- if ever.   Back in January, I wrote about holding dreams tightly in the heart and loosely in the hands. In the midst of a Bible study with friends, I had come to the point of accepting I may never serve families and children with special needs in the capacity I desired again. I had come to the point of saying, "Volunteering for  Buddy Break  may be where I serve. I'll show my kids how we love on these families. I'll let you (Lord) use me where you will. You gave me this heart for these families. Lead me to where I should go and guide me in how to serve. Help my heart to be content in this season. " Fast forward to April sometime. I was sitting with my dear friend, sipping lattes at our favorite spot, enjoying our once weekly coffee date. Special ed came up (naturally, as she's a teacher). The

A Dream: Held Tightly in the Heart, Loosely in the Hands

We live in a society full of big dreams and dream chasers. Multiple outlets telling us to never give up chasing our dreams, to keep dreaming big, but that often looks like us being encouraged to actively pursue said dream in some tangible way. Otherwise, you’re “letting your dreams die.” What if we began holding our dreams tightly in our hearts, recognizing God has placed a strong pull in our lives towards something, while also holding those dreams loosely in our hands?  Consider the strongest desire of your heart; the dream in you that you so badly want to pursue. Have you surrendered it to God lately? Have you gone to him and asked, “Is this dream for ME? Or am I preparing the way for someone else?” We read in 1 Chronicles 28 David’s charge to Israel. He explains in verses 2-3 his heart’s desire to build a house for the Lord and how he had already planned it out. But, God says to him, “You may not build a house for my name, for you are a man of war and have shed blood.” (v.3 ESV)  We

Making Your Quiet Time Count

  Why is it, so many of us have an unrealistic expectation and idea of what Bible study  needs  to look like? Perhaps we have watched others have “successful” Bible study by spending hours studying and journaling. Maybe we have experienced a retreat-like environment, where we were able to shut off all the noise and soak in the presence of God, so we crave that same experience every time we sit down with our Bible.   I always want my devotion time to be fruitful, but I realized I had placed an unbelievably high expectation on myself for making my time with the Lord “perfect” and “pretty.” Sometimes, my quiet time is far from quiet.  But that doesn’t mean the Lord doesn’t speak to me.  Here are three intentional steps to help you make the most out of your quiet time in the Word  —  regardless of what is going on around you! 1 -  Pray for eagerness and a heart change ( Hg 1:1-11 ). In the book of Haggai, the remnant of Israel has returned out of captivity in Babylon to rebuild the Temple.