Skip to main content

April Showers

WOW. What. A. Week.

That's all I've got for the last 6 weeks. I am blessed to have friends I am able to continue studying the Word with via email. It really is helping me to remember who is in control and who I need to be focusing on during this time. There are so many things to be thankful for right now among this pandemic- something we've never experienced before. There are also things that bring about many negative emotions- anger, sadness, frustration, fear, exhaustion.

But I keep reminding myself in the quiet of the night, when the kids are asleep, that God is the source of peace. HE is the only one who can steady my anxious heart and equip me to parent well during this time. And he is also the one pouring out mercy and grace when I screw it all up, lose my temper, and throw tantrums alongside my toddlers.

I am reading a book by Lisa Whittle titled, Jesus Over Everything, and it is perfect for this season. I have to keep Jesus over every single moment of the day. I have to be okay allowing myself to release emotion and ugly cry. I can't keep it all together- today proved that.

I am at the same time doing a study on Psalm 119 with a friend. It has been so sweet to stop at the end of a long day and let the words of the Spirit literally wash over me. There is nothing like those moments when I can sit alone worshiping and remembering all God has done and all he can do.

I was painting my daughters room today with Kari Jobe's album, "The Garden," as my soundtrack. The whole album is one of my favorites, but the title song is so beautiful.
"I realized/ you never left/ and for this moment you planned ahead/ that I would see your faithfulness in all of the green...Love is lifting me from sorrow/ catching every tear/ dispelling every lie and torment/ crushing all my fears"
This song is exactly what I needed in that particular moment today. As a mom, I am always fighting the voice of the enemy- fighting to believe that God will equip and empower me to be the best mom and wife I can be. But sometimes it is exhausting and all of those discouraging thoughts get the best of me instead. I am so thankful the Holy Spirit speaks to my broken heart every day.

None of this is any surprise to God. The pandemic. The public panic and distress. The pain and sorrow many families are facing. All of my really hard days as a mom and wife. Absolutely none of it comes as a surprise to HIM. I am continuing to learn how to respond to all of these things, though, that DO come as a surprise to me. Some days, like today, my head and my heart say two different things, "Jesus, help me!" and "I can't do this anymore! I give up!" Even that isn't surprising to God.

Then I have to make a choice: go to bed frustrated and worn down from a doozie of a day OR fight my flesh, read my Bible and spend some time in God's Word allowing my soul to be refreshed.
Tonight I chose the latter. I don't always, and I suffer the consequences. But when I sit with God, taking intentional time to release and refill, everyone reaps the benefits. It doesn't mean tomorrow will be an awesome day, but it does mean I will wake up filled, remembering how sweet the time I spent with the Lord was; how I fought my flesh to binge watch a show and rather sat with God, allowing him to fill up all the empty and worn spaces of my heart.

I won't wake up tomorrow with the unrealistic expectation I won't lose my temper or my toddlers will be perfect angels. I'll wake up knowing I prioritized my time with the Lord, knowing he is the healer and comforter of my soul, over my feelings of guilt and inadequacy.

A garden can't grow without water, so sometimes, it has to rain... sometimes there are storms, but it prevents the land from drying up. I had a dream once, I fully believe it was from the Lord, of a farm. The land was being tilled and fertilized with manure. It smelled bad, its wasn't pretty, but in the end, that land was ready to produce growth, a new harvest. Walking in faith and relationship with Christ doesn't mean sunshine and rainbows everyday. It's knowing and believing the storms and gray days, the painful, crappy seasons, are all going to produce new growth and renew the things that were dying. Sometimes, you just have to have a breakdown and let Jesus do his work. Sometimes, we just have to put ourselves to the side, get silent, and listen to discern how the Holy Spirit is moving in our midst, because he is always moving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Waiting Ends

 I have less than one week left of summer vacation.  One week to soak up time with my kids before I step into a new season I thought wouldn't come for a few more years- if ever.   Back in January, I wrote about holding dreams tightly in the heart and loosely in the hands. In the midst of a Bible study with friends, I had come to the point of accepting I may never serve families and children with special needs in the capacity I desired again. I had come to the point of saying, "Volunteering for  Buddy Break  may be where I serve. I'll show my kids how we love on these families. I'll let you (Lord) use me where you will. You gave me this heart for these families. Lead me to where I should go and guide me in how to serve. Help my heart to be content in this season. " Fast forward to April sometime. I was sitting with my dear friend, sipping lattes at our favorite spot, enjoying our once weekly coffee date. Special ed came up (naturally, as she's a teacher). The

A Dream: Held Tightly in the Heart, Loosely in the Hands

We live in a society full of big dreams and dream chasers. Multiple outlets telling us to never give up chasing our dreams, to keep dreaming big, but that often looks like us being encouraged to actively pursue said dream in some tangible way. Otherwise, you’re “letting your dreams die.” What if we began holding our dreams tightly in our hearts, recognizing God has placed a strong pull in our lives towards something, while also holding those dreams loosely in our hands?  Consider the strongest desire of your heart; the dream in you that you so badly want to pursue. Have you surrendered it to God lately? Have you gone to him and asked, “Is this dream for ME? Or am I preparing the way for someone else?” We read in 1 Chronicles 28 David’s charge to Israel. He explains in verses 2-3 his heart’s desire to build a house for the Lord and how he had already planned it out. But, God says to him, “You may not build a house for my name, for you are a man of war and have shed blood.” (v.3 ESV)  We

Making Your Quiet Time Count

  Why is it, so many of us have an unrealistic expectation and idea of what Bible study  needs  to look like? Perhaps we have watched others have “successful” Bible study by spending hours studying and journaling. Maybe we have experienced a retreat-like environment, where we were able to shut off all the noise and soak in the presence of God, so we crave that same experience every time we sit down with our Bible.   I always want my devotion time to be fruitful, but I realized I had placed an unbelievably high expectation on myself for making my time with the Lord “perfect” and “pretty.” Sometimes, my quiet time is far from quiet.  But that doesn’t mean the Lord doesn’t speak to me.  Here are three intentional steps to help you make the most out of your quiet time in the Word  —  regardless of what is going on around you! 1 -  Pray for eagerness and a heart change ( Hg 1:1-11 ). In the book of Haggai, the remnant of Israel has returned out of captivity in Babylon to rebuild the Temple.