Skip to main content

Reflections in the Dark

 Sitting in a rocker, in the dark, a sound machine blasting "beach waves," I forget about the chaos of the day for a moment. 

The frustrating moments.

The tantrums.

The nap refusals.

The sass.

And I just hold on to this moment, rocking my big 4 year old as he falls asleep in my lap.

His face isn’t that of a baby anymore. He’s a little boy now.
Growing and changing every single day.
When he asks to cuddle, everything else stops, because one day will be the last day he requests to snuggle his mama.

I know there are trials ahead.
I know the frustration, worry, overall consuming “mom life” is not going to end or get easier- it will just change as he gets older.
And I’ll find ways to adapt and change with him.
I’ll still be relying on many minute prayers throughout my day.
Still relying on Jesus to get me through it.
And still relying on my favorite coffee shop to supply me with quality caffeine & peaceful escape.

But for now, I’m going to sit in the moment.
Sit with this little boy cuddled on my lap.
Sleeping soundly.

Praying the Lord will bless him and draw him near to Himself.

Praying and surrendering him to Jesus, trusting He knows him and loves him more than I ever could.

For now, I love on him and keep him safe.
I teach him.
Guide him.
And snuggle him every. Single. Time.
For now, I stop thinking about the frustrations of our day and rest in knowing he feels loved and secure.
Rest in knowing he is God’s gift to me and it is an honor and privilege to raise him and watch him grow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Waiting Ends

 I have less than one week left of summer vacation.  One week to soak up time with my kids before I step into a new season I thought wouldn't come for a few more years- if ever.   Back in January, I wrote about holding dreams tightly in the heart and loosely in the hands. In the midst of a Bible study with friends, I had come to the point of accepting I may never serve families and children with special needs in the capacity I desired again. I had come to the point of saying, "Volunteering for  Buddy Break  may be where I serve. I'll show my kids how we love on these families. I'll let you (Lord) use me where you will. You gave me this heart for these families. Lead me to where I should go and guide me in how to serve. Help my heart to be content in this season. " Fast forward to April sometime. I was sitting with my dear friend, sipping lattes at our favorite spot, enjoying our once weekly coffee date. Special ed came up (naturally, as she's a teacher). The

A Dream: Held Tightly in the Heart, Loosely in the Hands

We live in a society full of big dreams and dream chasers. Multiple outlets telling us to never give up chasing our dreams, to keep dreaming big, but that often looks like us being encouraged to actively pursue said dream in some tangible way. Otherwise, you’re “letting your dreams die.” What if we began holding our dreams tightly in our hearts, recognizing God has placed a strong pull in our lives towards something, while also holding those dreams loosely in our hands?  Consider the strongest desire of your heart; the dream in you that you so badly want to pursue. Have you surrendered it to God lately? Have you gone to him and asked, “Is this dream for ME? Or am I preparing the way for someone else?” We read in 1 Chronicles 28 David’s charge to Israel. He explains in verses 2-3 his heart’s desire to build a house for the Lord and how he had already planned it out. But, God says to him, “You may not build a house for my name, for you are a man of war and have shed blood.” (v.3 ESV)  We

Making Your Quiet Time Count

  Why is it, so many of us have an unrealistic expectation and idea of what Bible study  needs  to look like? Perhaps we have watched others have “successful” Bible study by spending hours studying and journaling. Maybe we have experienced a retreat-like environment, where we were able to shut off all the noise and soak in the presence of God, so we crave that same experience every time we sit down with our Bible.   I always want my devotion time to be fruitful, but I realized I had placed an unbelievably high expectation on myself for making my time with the Lord “perfect” and “pretty.” Sometimes, my quiet time is far from quiet.  But that doesn’t mean the Lord doesn’t speak to me.  Here are three intentional steps to help you make the most out of your quiet time in the Word  —  regardless of what is going on around you! 1 -  Pray for eagerness and a heart change ( Hg 1:1-11 ). In the book of Haggai, the remnant of Israel has returned out of captivity in Babylon to rebuild the Temple.