Skip to main content

To this I Cling

What a year to start a writing journey again. There's something therapeutic about putting thoughts into words and sharing with others, but not for others. I don't keep track of how many views my blog gets. I don't share it more than once, right after it's been published. It's more for me than it is you, but I enjoy sharing because maybe the Spirit of God will prompt something in YOU as you read something I've written. 

Maybe, you'll discover you're "not the only one." Maybe you will read a scripture, start digging further, and then meet with God in a way you never have before OR haven't in a long time. 

Whatever brought you here, I'm happy to share with you. My words are simply an outlet to share what's in my heart; a tangible step to being real with others. 

We are living in some tense times. A lot of things that have been causing heartache for generations are boiling to the surface or out right exploding. There are things happening during this high stress and high tension era that make my jaw drop and my knees hit the floor while tears flow. What can I hold on to?

I have hope in Jesus. 

Nehemiah 13:1-2 (ESV) reads: 

"On that day they read from the Book of Moses in the hearing of the people. And in it was found written that no Ammonite or Moabite should ever enter the assembly of God, for they did not meet the people of Israel with bread and water, but hired Balaam against them to curse them -- yet our God turned the curse into a blessing." 

First, everything happening is in the palm of God's hand. From COVID-19, to racial injustice, presidential elections, schools opening and closing, new opportunities, lost opportunities, families celebrating birthdays and grieving deaths of loved ones. Not one thing is a surprise to our omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent GOD. 

I sit, sometimes shocked, watching what is happening in the world and often become overwhelmed by anxiety. Then, there's the nudge of the Holy Spirit to open up the Word and draw near to God. 

There hasn't been one time in my life that God has ever left me. Even in some of the darkest, hardest seasons walking through trauma, HE was right there. 

In the moment, in the season, I don't always remember God will turn it all for his good. And, if I do, I often question how that is even possible. 

Then I come across scripture like this.

2 Corinthians 4:7-11 (ESV) reads:

"But we have these treasures in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh."

Afflicted - not crushed.

Perplexed - not driven to despair.

Persecuted - not forsaken.

Struck down - not destroyed. 

The cross is how it is possible. Because of Jesus' redeeming work on the cross and his resurrection, I get to carry his life in me. I have the privilege to live, not in fear, but in hope knowing he WILL work all things out for his glory and my good. 

I will not get the run-down of how everything will play out. I don't get to know the future, beyond believing God's will WILL prevail over man's. Everything I know and have could be broken and stripped away just like a fragile jar of clay. 

But God will never fail. 

God is always faithful. 

God is always kind. 

God is always just. 

God is always loving. 

God is always forgiving; merciful. 

God is always available. 

His word is steadfast and living. 

It is true. 

Unchanging. 

So, who will you believe? What source will you collect all of your information from? 

There is truly only one thing I can cling to with no hesitation; Jesus. 

Help me, Jesus. Help me to live for you each day and cling to the power of your word and Spirit. Help me to continue to seek you and guide me moment by moment through all life has to throw at me. Help me to remember who YOU are and who you have CALLED ME TO BE. No matter what may be ahead, give me peace and strength through the power of the Holy Spirit to walk in your will. Heal our land. May those who do not know you, find you and cling tightly to you. Amen.

Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling. Naked, come to Thee for dress, helpless, look to Thee for grace. Foul, I to the fountain fly, wash me Savior or I die. (Rock of Ages; hymn)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Waiting Ends

 I have less than one week left of summer vacation.  One week to soak up time with my kids before I step into a new season I thought wouldn't come for a few more years- if ever.   Back in January, I wrote about holding dreams tightly in the heart and loosely in the hands. In the midst of a Bible study with friends, I had come to the point of accepting I may never serve families and children with special needs in the capacity I desired again. I had come to the point of saying, "Volunteering for  Buddy Break  may be where I serve. I'll show my kids how we love on these families. I'll let you (Lord) use me where you will. You gave me this heart for these families. Lead me to where I should go and guide me in how to serve. Help my heart to be content in this season. " Fast forward to April sometime. I was sitting with my dear friend, sipping lattes at our favorite spot, enjoying our once weekly coffee date. Special ed came up (naturally, as she's a teacher). The

A Dream: Held Tightly in the Heart, Loosely in the Hands

We live in a society full of big dreams and dream chasers. Multiple outlets telling us to never give up chasing our dreams, to keep dreaming big, but that often looks like us being encouraged to actively pursue said dream in some tangible way. Otherwise, you’re “letting your dreams die.” What if we began holding our dreams tightly in our hearts, recognizing God has placed a strong pull in our lives towards something, while also holding those dreams loosely in our hands?  Consider the strongest desire of your heart; the dream in you that you so badly want to pursue. Have you surrendered it to God lately? Have you gone to him and asked, “Is this dream for ME? Or am I preparing the way for someone else?” We read in 1 Chronicles 28 David’s charge to Israel. He explains in verses 2-3 his heart’s desire to build a house for the Lord and how he had already planned it out. But, God says to him, “You may not build a house for my name, for you are a man of war and have shed blood.” (v.3 ESV)  We

Making Your Quiet Time Count

  Why is it, so many of us have an unrealistic expectation and idea of what Bible study  needs  to look like? Perhaps we have watched others have “successful” Bible study by spending hours studying and journaling. Maybe we have experienced a retreat-like environment, where we were able to shut off all the noise and soak in the presence of God, so we crave that same experience every time we sit down with our Bible.   I always want my devotion time to be fruitful, but I realized I had placed an unbelievably high expectation on myself for making my time with the Lord “perfect” and “pretty.” Sometimes, my quiet time is far from quiet.  But that doesn’t mean the Lord doesn’t speak to me.  Here are three intentional steps to help you make the most out of your quiet time in the Word  —  regardless of what is going on around you! 1 -  Pray for eagerness and a heart change ( Hg 1:1-11 ). In the book of Haggai, the remnant of Israel has returned out of captivity in Babylon to rebuild the Temple.