Skip to main content

Going the Distance

In February of this year, a friend of mine asked if I would run the Disney Wine and Dine Half-Marathon November 8th with her. I laughed at first. 

Then, I thought about how this is something that has been on my bucket list to do since moving to Florida 7 years ago. I never did it though. I was terrified to run such a long distance, especially alone. 

But, now was the perfect time to say yes. 

What could be more magical than running 13.1 miles through Disney World? Through the Magic Kingdom and Cinderella's Castle? And with friends!

Nothing.  

So, I began right away. Half-marathon training became my big focus. I began running again. It was a slow start, as I hadn't run since my last race (a Disney 10k in February 2019). A whole year of essentially no running. I was so happy to see my pace hadn't completely gone out the window and I could still average a 13-14 minute mile. 

Along this journey, COVID happened. I kept training, not knowing, but over time assuming, my Disney race would be canceled. In July I registered for a local, back-up race... I was taking the risk of doing two half-marathons a month apart. But, shortly after, Run Disney announced the race cancellation. 

I actually cried. Real tears. I was crushed. 

I was also thankful I had signed up for a back-up race. 

There were a lot of reasons for the emotions I felt. I lost some of my motivation, but I kept going knowing I still had 13.1 miles to run; although they wouldn't be quite as magical. 

I continued to set mini goals. Some I hit or surpassed. Others, I missed the mark and was disappointed in myself. 

But I kept going. 

I continued to run the miles. I also started adding in more strength training, stretching, and muscle recovery techniques. 

Even though I missed the mark on some of my mini goals, I kept my focus on the end goal: completing the race.

There were many times throughout training I was reminded how similar race training is to my relationship with Christ.  

It's far from perfect. My heart and mind are continually being trained and transformed; yet I sometimes miss the mark in my personal relationship with Christ and sometimes in relationships He has placed in my life. 

But I can't give up. I have to keep my focus on the END GOAL: eternal life with Christ. 

I must continue to train, through reading the Word, being part of community, and serving my church.

There will always be bumps in the road. There will be suffering and heartache; things I can't control or understand. 

There will also be joy and revelation!  New relationships and opportunities to serve the body of Christ that God will call me to. He will use my prior training and his Spirit to equip me, while also growing me throughout the process. 

I will never be perfect. I may never reach some of my goals and I will certainly experience heartache and struggle along the way. 

But, I've got the best coach; Jesus. I am also surrounded by many training partners who are equally as excited to serve the Lord, learn, and grow. 

The running community is something special. Its supportive, no matter how fast or slow you may be. It's a community of people who come together to do and enjoy the same thing. 

What a wonderful idea, to experience the Body of Christ in the same way: a group of people who come together to genuinely serve and uplift one another every step of the way. 

We don't need to know everyone's training journey to love and support them when we're all focused on one end goal: eternity with our Savior.  

Keep training and building your strength in Christ. With that, you're sure to finish the race well through HIS strength alone. 


"He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it." 1 Thessalonians 5:24

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Waiting Ends

 I have less than one week left of summer vacation.  One week to soak up time with my kids before I step into a new season I thought wouldn't come for a few more years- if ever.   Back in January, I wrote about holding dreams tightly in the heart and loosely in the hands. In the midst of a Bible study with friends, I had come to the point of accepting I may never serve families and children with special needs in the capacity I desired again. I had come to the point of saying, "Volunteering for  Buddy Break  may be where I serve. I'll show my kids how we love on these families. I'll let you (Lord) use me where you will. You gave me this heart for these families. Lead me to where I should go and guide me in how to serve. Help my heart to be content in this season. " Fast forward to April sometime. I was sitting with my dear friend, sipping lattes at our favorite spot, enjoying our once weekly coffee date. Special ed came up (naturally, as she's a teacher). The

A Dream: Held Tightly in the Heart, Loosely in the Hands

We live in a society full of big dreams and dream chasers. Multiple outlets telling us to never give up chasing our dreams, to keep dreaming big, but that often looks like us being encouraged to actively pursue said dream in some tangible way. Otherwise, you’re “letting your dreams die.” What if we began holding our dreams tightly in our hearts, recognizing God has placed a strong pull in our lives towards something, while also holding those dreams loosely in our hands?  Consider the strongest desire of your heart; the dream in you that you so badly want to pursue. Have you surrendered it to God lately? Have you gone to him and asked, “Is this dream for ME? Or am I preparing the way for someone else?” We read in 1 Chronicles 28 David’s charge to Israel. He explains in verses 2-3 his heart’s desire to build a house for the Lord and how he had already planned it out. But, God says to him, “You may not build a house for my name, for you are a man of war and have shed blood.” (v.3 ESV)  We

Making Your Quiet Time Count

  Why is it, so many of us have an unrealistic expectation and idea of what Bible study  needs  to look like? Perhaps we have watched others have “successful” Bible study by spending hours studying and journaling. Maybe we have experienced a retreat-like environment, where we were able to shut off all the noise and soak in the presence of God, so we crave that same experience every time we sit down with our Bible.   I always want my devotion time to be fruitful, but I realized I had placed an unbelievably high expectation on myself for making my time with the Lord “perfect” and “pretty.” Sometimes, my quiet time is far from quiet.  But that doesn’t mean the Lord doesn’t speak to me.  Here are three intentional steps to help you make the most out of your quiet time in the Word  —  regardless of what is going on around you! 1 -  Pray for eagerness and a heart change ( Hg 1:1-11 ). In the book of Haggai, the remnant of Israel has returned out of captivity in Babylon to rebuild the Temple.