Skip to main content

Bloom Bravely

I’ve been spending time studying Ephesians prepping for an upcoming Bible study. While doing so, I began asking the Lord to reveal my “word” or “phrase” for this year. It’s something I didn’t start doing until last year when I was challenged to do so by my sister-in-law. It’s interesting how perfect last years word (brave) was & even more interesting how it’s creeping into this years phrase- “bloom bravely.” *GULP*

I know what happened throughout the last year and the areas I had to believe in God and be “brave.” But now, “bloom bravely... “ that just sounds like a (possibly painful) growth year.

I’ve been struggling to be content in this season of 24/7 “mommy.”
The feelings of guilt & frustration, like my 5 years of hard work & masters degree are simply a memory & complete waste of time/money...a piece of paper sitting in a nice folder, inside my hopechest. Yes- it seems over dramatic. Maybe it’s because I really never intended on this being my life. This whole being married with kids thing... my plan was to be a teacher and have dogs. End up with a doctorate & be the head of some special ed department. God OBVIOUSLY had other plans. But, the discontent is still there.

I’ve been told, in every season {no matter my age} I will always feel discontent about something... that’s why I have to rely fully on God. Believing in who He is and in His plan that’s unfolding before me. It’s a hard pill to swallow- accepting I’m not actually in control.

I’ve been praying through somethings- specifically school for my kids. It’s right around the corner, starting with preschool. There’s been lot’s of anxiety, sleepless nights, pros & cons lists, opinions (solicited & unsolicited), tears, rationalizing... etc etc. Being a former public school teacher & now a mom, I’ve got a lot of worries, fears, concerns, & to much knowledge to sort through.

In the world we live in, there are genuine fears. There are multiple options too. Homeschool. Public school. Private school. Online school. Enough to make any parent crazy. Then, throw in all the opinions of every person we know. Then the news. And it’s just a downward spiral. 

I found myself recently judging/deciding preschools based on curriculum, scope & sequence, standards. I became even more frustrated as I explored because I was finding there are many things expected of a preschooler that simply are not developmentally appropriate. Seriously, they’re 4. Why is there homework? Why are they supposed to write 3 sentences describing an objects size? Are you kidding me!?

And it just gets worse... I continue down the rabbit hole and revisit the kindergarten standards, standards I taught before leaving my job to be a stay at home mom. Standards that still make me furious & sick to my stomach. What happened to half day kindergarten & play? Social skills and phonics? Spelling & standardized tests when they’re 5? Is this a joke? Nope. It’s reality.

It’s an ugly path. It’s the exact path the enemy wanted me on too. I have become captive to fear and frustration over things I have zero control over. Things I can’t change- and believe me, I’ve spoken up, advocated for students in regard to this nonsense & all it got me was cornered, silenced, and angry. Burnt out from a career I’d just started. 

Now, I’m finding myself on the other side. A parent. I love my kids so much! I want to protect them. Keep them safe and innocent. Yet, I am still, quite literally, powerless in regard to what standards my child will be expected to reach in school, and their safety while at school. But I am completely aware that no matter what choice we make about school, we as the parents STILL play a major role. Teaching right vs wrong. Christian values vs whatever the world thinks. Love vs hate. Acknowledging parental involvement is KEY to a child’s success in school no matter how or where they go to school. That’s the *easy* part- being present, loving, doing my best to protect my kids.

It’s the living by true faith in Jesus, actively seeking His will, being wholly rooted in Him and not being paralyzed by fear that’s the *hard* part. When someone asks me how I can just be so chill about the world and the state it’s in, I often just respond acknowledging God’s in control and there is very little I can do about it. It’s a fallen, sinful world. End of story.

But, it’s not that simple. If it were, I wouldn’t be riddled with anxiety and fear over sending my kids to school. My pastor said something that BROKE me. Totally illuminated & shattered my need for control about this whole school thing. We are to “put to use what Jesus has entrusted to us...the gospel is to be obeyed by us & the gospel is to be shared by us.” Keeping my kids under a rock, believing I know best (but really just being afraid), and clinging to my own devices isn’t believing who God is & that his plan is perfect. Nor does it allow us as a family to obey and share the Gospel.

The reality is, bad, terrible, tragic things happen every single day. At any moment it could all be over. So, it doesn’t really matter what I decide about school for my kids or if I ever teach in a classroom setting again. What matters is whether or not I’ve got an “active faith rooted in an accurate faith.” Am I choosing to believe in who God is, letting that truth determine the decisions I make in regard to the precious gifts I’ve been entrusted with, instead of being a slave to fear? That’s what matters.

It ALWAYS comes back to Jesus. Always. Because without Him, I am nothing but an anxiety ridden mess struggling to balance the pros and cons of every situation that comes my way & believing lies that I’ve failed at the age of 30. It takes work to “root out the lies of the enemy” by fixing my eyes on Jesus. But, it’s my only option. The only one that makes sense. The only thing that matters. I know, without a doubt, HE is going to make it crystal clear where to go from here. My fear has to get lost & my identity has be continually found in Christ.

“What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:31‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Waiting Ends

 I have less than one week left of summer vacation.  One week to soak up time with my kids before I step into a new season I thought wouldn't come for a few more years- if ever.   Back in January, I wrote about holding dreams tightly in the heart and loosely in the hands. In the midst of a Bible study with friends, I had come to the point of accepting I may never serve families and children with special needs in the capacity I desired again. I had come to the point of saying, "Volunteering for  Buddy Break  may be where I serve. I'll show my kids how we love on these families. I'll let you (Lord) use me where you will. You gave me this heart for these families. Lead me to where I should go and guide me in how to serve. Help my heart to be content in this season. " Fast forward to April sometime. I was sitting with my dear friend, sipping lattes at our favorite spot, enjoying our once weekly coffee date. Special ed came up (naturally, as she's a teacher). The

A Dream: Held Tightly in the Heart, Loosely in the Hands

We live in a society full of big dreams and dream chasers. Multiple outlets telling us to never give up chasing our dreams, to keep dreaming big, but that often looks like us being encouraged to actively pursue said dream in some tangible way. Otherwise, you’re “letting your dreams die.” What if we began holding our dreams tightly in our hearts, recognizing God has placed a strong pull in our lives towards something, while also holding those dreams loosely in our hands?  Consider the strongest desire of your heart; the dream in you that you so badly want to pursue. Have you surrendered it to God lately? Have you gone to him and asked, “Is this dream for ME? Or am I preparing the way for someone else?” We read in 1 Chronicles 28 David’s charge to Israel. He explains in verses 2-3 his heart’s desire to build a house for the Lord and how he had already planned it out. But, God says to him, “You may not build a house for my name, for you are a man of war and have shed blood.” (v.3 ESV)  We

A Christmas Prayer

 December, the holiday season, Christmas.  This time of year brings me more stress and anxiety than it does joy on most occasions.  However, this year (2020), I am trying my best to keep my heart and mind focused on Jesus. The past few years, we as a family have had a short Advent devotional/story we read through each night. The first few days are fine, but then I quickly become irritated and overwhelmed by "one more thing to do." Forgetting completely about Jesus. Wishing it would just be December 26th.  Something is different in me this year. Yes, I still have my frantic, overwhelmed moments and days. Yes, I still feel anxious about the extra stuff that comes with the holidays. But, my heart is much  more focused on Jesus .  As a mom, I want to control many things; I've actually always been this way, motherhood just exasperated it. I'm slowly, daily, learning and being reminded I'm not in control of everything .  My prayer in this season has become: Lord, help