Skip to main content

What if the only requirement was loving Jesus?

As some of us have discovered via google searches, the internet is flooded with articles & blogs with lists & ways to set expectations for serving in different areas of church ministry. They list skills and character traits that are important to possess & are (sometimes) critical to that area of ministry. One article I saw actually listed “spiritual maturity” as one of the requirements- stating new &/or immature Christians couldn’t serve. *smacks hand to forehead* 

But, what if the only requirement was loving Jesus? Seeking Him? Being willing to have quick (or deep) discussions about how your heart is & being authentic about it all? Isn’t that how we grow spiritually? By walking alongside others who have had different experiences, who are currently walking in relationship with Christ & loving Him with their whole self? If spiritual maturity is a requirement to serve, then none of us should be serving because we won’t reach that till we get to Heaven. Just sayin... 

Punctuality is often another expectation. I don’t know about you, but once I had children, being right-on-time went out the window. One time I was actually 20 minutes late because I had to turn around half-way to the church once I realized I had one of the car seats my husband would need. Things happen. 

But who cares? The real question is whether or not my heart was in a posture to be led by the Spirit during worship once I did arrive. Whether it’s the worship, children’s, welcome, or coffee ministry, our heart’s posture & our relationship with the Lord has to be the number one, most important, expectation of all. 

Here’s the thing: volunteers are not just work horses. In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul addresses the topic of spiritual gifts & the church being one body. He writes about different individuals being given different spiritual gifts. No one is the same (we literally are like snowflakes y’all  ðŸ˜‚). He goes on about how the church is ONE body with MANY members, all unified through Christ. 

So, what happens when we ask the routine faith based questions, go through the background checks, auditions, spiritual gifts tests (etc...etc...), then get our new volunteer signed up & on the schedule? Do we even think about their relationship with Christ anymore? How their heart and soul are doing? Are they grieving a loss? Walking through trauma? Embarking on a new, exciting season within their family? 

These are questions that don’t get asked often enough of our volunteers. Yes, life is crazy. No, none of us has “time.” Blah blah blah... those are just excuses we use to avoid real heart conversations with others in our communities. We are instructed in the Bible to build one another up, bear each other’s burdens, pray & love one another, but we do a pretty terrible job of that after we get someone “committed.” 

This isn’t  just the responsibility for the ministry leaders either. Why aren’t volunteers coming alongside one another to invest in each other’s lives outside of the ministry? 

Yes, there are small groups & other friends & communities. And you have to be willing to put forth some effort. I know... don’t get all upset. Just listen a minute. 

If loving Jesus is the only requirement, our ministries may actually be overflowing with volunteers, not begging for them. If loving Jesus was the only expectation, we may actually have churches overflowing with new believers as they figure out there past doesn’t define them & we are here to walk with them; broken and sinful, learning more about God everyday ourselves! 

The expectations/requirements, the background checks, they all have their place to some extent, but they can quickly steal the joy out of serving. When volunteering becomes a job with rules and regulations, no breaks because there aren’t enough people to develop a rotation, we get legalistic, particular, and forget about why we chose to serve in the first place. 

Jesus. 

Once again, it’s always about Jesus. 

So, what’s your heart look like? Are you serving because God called you to it? Or are you serving out of guilt & desperation? God doesn’t care how musically talented you are, how gifted you are at teaching children or making people smile at the door. He cares about your heart and relationship with Him. Nothing else matters. 

The only requirement (really) is loving & seeking the One, True, Holy God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Waiting Ends

 I have less than one week left of summer vacation.  One week to soak up time with my kids before I step into a new season I thought wouldn't come for a few more years- if ever.   Back in January, I wrote about holding dreams tightly in the heart and loosely in the hands. In the midst of a Bible study with friends, I had come to the point of accepting I may never serve families and children with special needs in the capacity I desired again. I had come to the point of saying, "Volunteering for  Buddy Break  may be where I serve. I'll show my kids how we love on these families. I'll let you (Lord) use me where you will. You gave me this heart for these families. Lead me to where I should go and guide me in how to serve. Help my heart to be content in this season. " Fast forward to April sometime. I was sitting with my dear friend, sipping lattes at our favorite spot, enjoying our once weekly coffee date. Special ed came up (naturally, as she's a teacher). The

Making Your Quiet Time Count

  Why is it, so many of us have an unrealistic expectation and idea of what Bible study  needs  to look like? Perhaps we have watched others have “successful” Bible study by spending hours studying and journaling. Maybe we have experienced a retreat-like environment, where we were able to shut off all the noise and soak in the presence of God, so we crave that same experience every time we sit down with our Bible.   I always want my devotion time to be fruitful, but I realized I had placed an unbelievably high expectation on myself for making my time with the Lord “perfect” and “pretty.” Sometimes, my quiet time is far from quiet.  But that doesn’t mean the Lord doesn’t speak to me.  Here are three intentional steps to help you make the most out of your quiet time in the Word  —  regardless of what is going on around you! 1 -  Pray for eagerness and a heart change ( Hg 1:1-11 ). In the book of Haggai, the remnant of Israel has returned out of captivity in Babylon to rebuild the Temple.
Well, I officially broke my streak by taking a month break in March.  Now, it is nearly the end of April and here I am just getting to writing words for this month.  To be honest, I'm struggling as the reality of my one good friend moving away is closing in. It is such a bittersweet time. I am beyond thrilled and excited for her new adventure; for the new chapter ahead of her! But, I am also selfishly wishing she didn't have to go.  Making friends, no matter your age is hardly easy. Maybe my expectations of what true friendships look like is too high. Maybe... just maybe there are other people who long to have real, vulnerable relationships. I know, I wrote about this in February; I'm obviously passionate about authentic friendships.  However, I'm learning a good, hard lesson in this season of loneliness (while ironically surrounded). As I continue to make spending time in God's word part of my everyday routine, I am learning even more about what it means to find my